Time to Finish up that Turkey!
Sick of turkey sandwiches, the gravy is long gone, but the rest of that turkey day bird is still staring at you every time you open the fridge.
What to do?
…Dump it all into a Turkey Pot Pie bitch!
Here’s a recipe for the one that I just made:
1/4 lb. all purpose flour
1/4 lb. whole wheat flour
1/4 lb. butter
1/4 lb. rendered bacon fat
1/2 tsp salt
1) In a mixing bowl, blend the flours, salt and bacon fat with your finger tips.
2) Add just enough water to keep the dough together and work it into a ball.
3) Let the dough rest in the fridge and the butter soften on the counter top for 30 minutes. (this is a good time to start making the gravy)
4) Pull the rested dough out of the fridge and put it out on a floured board.
5) Roll the dough out until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
6) Spread the softened butter on the rolled out dough.
7) Fold the dough over and roll it out again. Repeat this step three times.
8) Rest the dough in the fridge again before rolling it out for the pie.
2 lbs roasted turkey bones broken into pieces
1 carrot peeled and chopped
1 onion peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
2 bay leaves
2 oz. butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1) Boil the turkey bones, carrot, onion, celery and bay leaves in just enough water to cover them. Turn down the heat and let the pot simmer for at least an hour, but more cooking time is better.
2) Melt the butter in a large sauce pan.
3) Add the flour to the melted butter and whisk until it turns golden brown.
4) Deglaze with the wine and whisk while adding the cream.
5) Add the nutmeg, salt and pepper and whisk until it thickens. Remove from heat.
6) Strain the turkey stock.
7) Reduce the turkey stock to 1 cup.
8) Combine the turkey stock and the thickened cream.
Assemble the Pot Pie:
1 lb cooked turkey meat chopped (I included the gizzards)
1 lb raw vegetables chopped (I used leeks and green beans, but you use just about any vegetable. Potatoes, squash, peas, brussels, parsnips and artichokes are all good)
salt and pepper to taste
*Preheat your oven to 375f
1) Combine the gravy, turkey and veggies.
2) Taste and season with salt and pepper.
3) Fill a 9″ pie pan with the mixture.
4) Roll the crust out in a circle just big enough to cover the pie pan with 1 inch overlapping on all sides.
5) Cover the pie with the rolled out crust and gently press down on all sides.
6) Punch a few small holes in the middle of the pie crust.
7) Bake the pie until the crust is golden brown.
Serve the Pot Pie!